Tuesday, April 20, 2010

ASA is NOT in the House!

So after many long years of a little bit of construction here.. a little bit there… our new office is now complete! OK, so a few more details to tackle, but it is open for business. Finally some physical separation for our family and our business.

What made it even more special is that Gail was away at NEIPP (The New England Institute of Professional Photography) for a week so I surprised her!

Knowing that she would be away, I went crazy and completed all the finish work in about 5 days so I could surprise her when she got back.

Oh man,I busted my hump all week and by Friday I was a complete wreck, both mentally and physically. I missed Gail something fierce and so did Matthew and Steven.

So while Gail was away working and learning along side some of the best photographers in the industry, I was eating saw dust all week. Yea…..I was jealous. OK…so I was VERY JEALOUS. She also got the honor of modeling for Jenn Husdon and Arthur Rainville. They took some BEAUTIFUL shots of Gail in a dress that Jenn literally built around Gail. I plan to get some prints of the shoot for next to my new desk = ).


As much as it killed me to not go with her, I knew she would benefit from this in so many ways. I also knew what it would mean to her to not have to come back to that awful office set-up. It was so inefficient for oh so many reasons.

To help hold down the fort while she was away (essentially make sure the kids get to school and that they don’t starve on my hands) we flew Nana out for the week. By Thursday night she was helping me stay on a busy construction schedule by staining trim along side me at 1:30 AM. THANKS MOM!


As many of you know we do most of the photography at our Studio, but all the editing, album design, client contacting … was all done at our home office (or shall I say Living room).



Up until the beginning of 2009 our poor Living room served as the entertainment room, the playroom, home bill processing room and ASA’s double office equipped with 2 workstations, a regular printer and a large format printer. YIKES!

A typical night at ASA(above), Gail used to always have to squeeze by me and the Epson 4800 printer to get awya from her desk. Oh man...many a fight started that way!

We finished off the boy's playroom right after X-mas ’08 and that decreased quite a toy burden from the living room almost immediatley, but we knew finishing of the office was going to have an even more profound affect on our situation. It just took a lot of custom work to get it done. As you can see there is barely a square angle in the whole place.

So why do we take on these projects you ask? I don't know!

This is a great arguement for just sucking it up and paying somone else to do it!

Here are some pics from the past few years along the way during the build of both the playroom and the office...











No comments: